Safety is our utmost concern!
For all potential users and visitors, please contact us in advance to arrange a guided tour of our Center.
The Center houses five strong super conducting magnets and high radio frequency electronics. The environment could pose a potential danger to all personnel in the Center if safety guidelines are not observed. Warning signs and chains are located at all critical entry ports and restricted areas.
- The Center is not accessible
to people with heart pacer and/or metal implants,
as they could be affected by the electronics and strong magnetic field.
- The superconducting magnet will suck any loose metal objects
within 15 feet from it with strong force and high speed. Body
injury and death can result if a person
is hit or pinched by the flying projectiles'.
could also happen that induces further injury!
The rapid collapse of the supper conducting magnetic field with the uncontrollable boil off of cryogens is called "Quenching". Why this can happen----read more details The malfunction expresses itself as a loud whooshing sound and the lab will be filled up most in gas nitrogen and helium. Contact of the super-cold liquid with skin could result in body injury or death.
Strong magnetic field will erase all magnetic strips such as your credit card, Photo ID, Cell Phones, IPods etc.
Basic NMR Orientation and Safety Demo presentation. for NMR Facility Users.
The following policy is to be observed at all times:
- KEEP ALL ENTRANCES LOCKED. NMR labs are accessible only to authorized personnel.
- KEEP ALL METAL OBJECTS outside the restricted areas
away from any magnet.
All magnets retain a strong magnetic field even when electric power is out. Loose metal objects (such as metal trash cans, compressed cylinders, metal chairs etc) will be sucked into the magnet at such a high speed and strong force that it will be unpreventable. Quenching of the magnet will then follow. Body injury and death can result if a person is hit or pinched by the flying projectiles.
- EVACUATE THE LAB IMMEDIATELY, IN CASE OF magnet malfunction.
- NO SMOKING, FOOD, CHEMICAL PREPARATION in the NMR LABS.
- FOLLOW all SAFETY PROCEDURES as outlined in the Standard Operating Procedure from the University and the NMR facilities.
Last update: nmrsafety-new.htm Jan, 2017 FC