Group picture, 2013
Welcome to Materials and Microfluidics Research Group!
Our mission is to develop new strategies/concepts for the synthesis and design of new nano- and micro-structured materials with advanced applications. We conduct fundamental and applied research at the intersection of science, engineering, biology, and medicine.
We aim at: (a) the synthesis, fabrication, and self-assembly of functional nanostructures for the development of renewable energy, for chemical sensing, and so on; (b) the study of biomineralization, and bioinspired/biomimetic nanocomposite materials with structural hierarchy; (c) the exploration of microfluidics and nanofluidics for chemical synthesis, biological study, and medical diagnostics.
Please enter to see more details >>
- Y.J. Liu, X.Y. Yang, Z.Q. Huang, Y. Liu, L. Deng, C.L. Yi, X.L. Sun, S.Y. Zhang, N.M. Khachab, X.Y. Chen, Z.H. Nie, Magneto-Plasmonic Janus Vesicles for Magnetic Field-Enhanced Photoacoustic and Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Tumor, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2016, Accepted (DOI: 10.1002/anie.201608338).
- Z.Q. Huang, Y.J. Liu, Q. Zhang, X.X. Chang, A. Li, L. Deng, C.L. Yi, Y. Yang, N.M. Khashab, J.L. Gong*, and Z.H. Nie*, Collapsed polymer-directed synthesis of multicomponent coaxial-like nanostructures, Nat. Commun. 2016, 7, 12147.
- Z.Q. Huang, D. Raciti, L.Deng, C.L. Yi, Y.J. Liu, Q. Zhang, L. Zhang, N.M. Khashab, C. Wang, J.L. Gong*, and Z.H. Nie*, Synthesis of platinum nanotubes and nanorings via simultaneous metal alloying and etching, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2016, 138, 6332–6335 (Selected as Cover Page). .
- Y. Yang, G.D. Chen, L. Martinez-Miranda, K. Liu,* and Z.H. Nie*, Synthesis and liquid crystal behavior of bent silica rods, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2016, 138, 68−71.
Y.J. Liu, J. He, K.K. Yang, C.L. Yi, Y. Liu, L.M. Nie, N. M. Khashab, X.Y. Chen*, Z.H. Nie*, Folding up gold nanoparticle into vesicles for photoacoustic imaging
, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed.
, 2015, 54, 15916-20 (Featured as VIP article
- K. Song, P. Huang, C.L. Yi, B. Ning, S. Hu, L.M. Nie, X.Y. Chen,* Z.H Nie*, Colorimetric and Photoacoustic Imaging for Latent Fingerprints Visualization, ACS Nano, 2015, 12, 12344–12348.
Y.J. Liu, Y.C. Li, J. He, K. Duelge, Z.Y. Lu*, Z.H. Nie*, Entropy-driven Pattern Formation of Hybrid Vesicular Assemblies Made from Molecular and Nanoparticle Amphiphile
, J. Am. Chem. Soc.,
2014, 136, 2602-2610.
P. Huang, J. Lin, W.W. Li, P.F. Rong, Z. Wang, S.J. Wang, X.P. Wang, X.L. Sun, M. Aronova, G. Niu, R.D. Leapman, Z.H. Nie*, X.Y. Chen*, Biodegradable Gold Nanovesicles with Ultra-strong Plasmonic Coupling Effect for Photoacoustic Imaging-Guided Photothermal Therap
y, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed.
, 52, 13958–13964
J. Lin, S.J. Wang, P. Huang, Z. Wang, S.H. Chen, G. Niu, W.W. Li, J. He, D.X. Cui, G. M. Lu, X.Y. Chen*, Z.H. Nie*, Photosensitizer-loaded gold vesicles with strong plasmonic coupling effect for imaging-guided photothermal/photodynamic therapy
, ACS Nano, 2013
, 7, 5320–5329
J. He, X.L. Huang, Y.C. Li, Y.J. Liu, T. Babu, M.A. Aronova, S.J. Wang, Z.Y. Lu,* X.Y. Chen,* Z.H. Nie*, Self-assembly of amphiphilic plasmonic micelle-like nanoparticles in selective solvents
,J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2013
, 135, 7974–7984.
Z. L. Wu, M. Moshe, J. Greener, H. Therien-Aubin, Z.H. Nie*, E. Sharon*, E. Kumacheva*, Three-dimensional Shape Transformations of Hydrogel Sheets Induced by Small-Scale Modulation of Internal Stresses
, Nat. Commun. 2013
, 4, 1586.
J. He, Z. J. Wei, L. Wang, Z. Tomova, T. Babu#, C. Y. Wang, X. J. Han, J.T. Fourkas, Z.H. Nie*, Hydrodynamically driven self-assembly of giant vesicles of metal nanoparticles for remotely triggered release
, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed.
, 52, 2463-2468.
J. He, B.Y. Yu, M. J. Hourwitz#, Y.J. Liu, M. T. Perez, J. Yang, Z.H. Nie*,Wet-chemical synthesis of amphiphilic rodlike silica particles and their molecular-mimetic assembly in selective solvents
, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed.
, 51, 3628 –3633.
Click to play
Three-dimensional reconstruction of nanoparticle vesicles composed of a single layer of highly ordered gold nanoparticles in the membrane using tomographic TEM (diameter of gold nanoparticles: 15 nm).
DPD simulation of the time-dependent self-assembly of nanoparticles grafted with amphiphilic block copolymers into hollow plasmonic vesicles.
The use of assembled plasmonic vesicles for photoacoustic imaging of tumors in mice.
Near-infrared (NIR) light triggered burst release of encapsulated molecules from giant vesicles composed of a single layer of gold nanorods in the membrane (black: vesicles; white: NIR light spot; size of giant vesicles: ~2,000 nm).
Reversible shape transformation of 2D hydrogel sheets into 3D helical structure.